This might be common knowledge for some, but maybe it will help others who are patching an existing C3D Network Deployment Admin image with SP3.The Readme file states that SP3 can’t be applied to an image that had a previous service pack applied.Â The suggested procedure is to create a new image and apply the latestÂ SP at the time of creation.Â This is not new, butÂ it is a pain in the neck,Â especially if you’ve made even moderately extensive path customizations (e.g. Vault directories; Printer Support search paths; etc).
Here’s a simple procedure that may make your life easier.
- Back up your existing admin image
- Manually apply sp3 to any workstation that already has C3D deployed.Â Some reason that if there are a large number of deployments, it is easier to create a new adim image with sp3 and maintain 2 images.Â I disagree…as you still need to manually apply sp3 to all workstations with a current deployment and you then have the added hassle of keeping track of 2 images.
- Copy the C3D.msi from the original installation disk to the admin image folder on your network, overwriting the existing C3D.msi file.
- Run network deplyment wizard, and select the C3D.msi file.
- You should now have the option to add a patch to the admin image, and not have to reenter all the customizations you may have made.
Ed Note: No wonder he writes for glossyÂ magazines, the man needs an Editor. Geesh. JW