This might be common knowledge for some, but maybe it will help others who are patching an existing C3D Network Deployment Admin image with SP3.The Readme file states that SP3 can’t be applied to an image that had a previous service pack applied.Â The suggested procedure is to create a new image and apply the latestÂ SP at the time of creation.Â This is not new, butÂ it is a pain in the neck,Â especially if you’ve made even moderately extensive path customizations (e.g. Vault directories; Printer Support search paths; etc).
Here’s a simple procedure that may make your life easier.
- Back up your existing admin image
- Manually apply sp3 to any workstation that already has C3D deployed.Â Some reason that if there are a large number of deployments, it is easier to create a new adim image with sp3 and maintain 2 images.Â I disagree…as you still need to manually apply sp3 to all workstations with a current deployment and you then have the added hassle of keeping track of 2 images.
- Copy the C3D.msi from the original installation disk to the admin image folder on your network, overwriting the existing C3D.msi file.
- Run network deplyment wizard, and select the C3D.msi file.
- You should now have the option to add a patch to the admin image, and not have to reenter all the customizations you may have made.
Ed Note: No wonder he writes for glossyÂ magazines, the man needs an Editor. Geesh. JW
I’m still getting over the shock of seeing Mark post something to the blog – shouldn’t he be balancing a checkbook or submitting purchase orders or something? 🙂
Just kidding mark, nice to see you pop your head out of the office every now and then, typos and all!
You laugh, but this subject came up at AU. Peter mentioned that he is going to see if he can use C3D to balance his checkbook. Some people are way too passionate about their jobs. 🙂
All kidding aside, Thanks Mark. I did not know that the msi was the culprit in the patching of deployment sites.
I’ll try to remember for next time.
This is great info. I have a slight variation that maybe you can help with: We only deployed to three test machines, so they weren’t done via the network but they were linked up to a central vault server. When I requested that IT apply SP3, nobody read the readme (imagine that) and they didn’t apply SP1 to the vault first. Now all three machines are running with SP3, but they get a ‘resource error’ on C3D launch and can’t connect back up to the vault. Any suggestions on how to patch this up (short of three reinstalls)?
Mark – great info! I didn’t realize the MSI was the work around either. This tip is going to save me hours of time when new SP’s are released. Thank you.